GARE: Default Applied Advanced Segments

April 6, 2010

daas.gifI was thinking the other day about some of the problems with Advanced Segments in Google Analytics. Don't get me wrong, I like the feature quite a bit and use it all the time. The main problem I have is that advanced segments require an extra step.

What I mean is that when you view a profile's report, if you want to apply an Advanced Segment, you have to expand the drop down or click the link in the left nav, click a few more things, and then finally it's applied.

That's OK if you need that advanced segment infrequently. But what if you have an Advanced Segment you use constantly, all the time, maybe even every time you view a particular profile? Then this process becomes a bit of a hassle.

Enter Default Applied Advanced Segments.

This new feature gives you the ability to set a particular advanced segment or segments as the default segment that will be applied to the profile every time you go to view that profile. Once you're viewing the profile, you would still have the ability to remove that advanced segment or apply a different advanced segment altogether as usual. What this feature does that's nice is offer a "recommended view" of the profile.

Currently, Default Applied Advanced Segments are both login based and browser based. Custom Advanced Segments are already login based, so that's no big deal. But if you access Google Analytics from multiple machines on a frequent basis, you might be frustrated if you have to set up your Default Applied Advanced Segments on each machine.

Eventually I would like to overcome this limitation, but this is a bit beyond what I've done so far, so it will likely be a while before I can come out with the update. I would also like to create a version of this that is managed at the admin level. That way, any admin will be able to set up which advanced segments are applied to the profile by default, and can change this for other users.

You can get in on the action by:

1. Getting Firefox
  2. Getting Greasemonkey
  3. Getting GARE

Of course, if you already have Firefox or Greasemonkey, you can bypass the appropriate step(s).

I would also like to get some feedback as to how useful this feature is so far. This blog post is intentionally devoid of details on how to use this feature. I'm hoping that this feature will be both obvious and discoverable. So let me know what works, what doesn't, or what else you might like to see, and I'll see what I can do.

Google Analytics for Online Advertisers
Here at ROI Revolution, we consider Google Analytics tracking essential for paid search, so it's included in our PPC Campaign Management service.

Comments

daniel markus said:

This post is disappointing. And I'm feeling too lazy to explain why.

April 8, 2010 1:40 AM

Jeremy Aube, Director of Engineering Author Profile Page said:

@Daniel: I'm sorry you feel that way. I know it's hard to overcome apathy sometimes, but if you would explain what about the post disappointed you, I will summon up the energy to do something about it.

April 8, 2010 7:26 AM

Jeremy said:

Hey Jeremy,

Thank you so much for your consistent output which really helps me get more out of GA!

Recently there have been some changes to the segmenting drop downs in GA (from a list-style to a table-style). It seems that a lot of the GARE enhancements have been lost, like 'second page' etc.

Will you be updating the script to accommodate these changes?! Please say yes!

Cheers (and don't worry about that negative post above..)

- Jeremy

July 29, 2010 10:04 AM

Jeremy Aube, Director of Engineering Author Profile Page said:

@Jeremy: Yes! In fact, it's already been done; just re-download the script. I'll also be doing an official post on the update early next week.

Thanks for the encouragement! I've got to take the bad with the good. Default Applied Advanced Segments hasn't seemed to have taken off as well as some of the other enhancements, but these things happens.

July 29, 2010 10:45 AM

zylstra said:

Jeremy, Daniel meant that the feature is neither obvious nor discoverable, and that you SHOULD provide details on how to use the feature.

August 16, 2011 12:14 PM

Jeremy Aube, Director of Engineering Author Profile Page said:

@zylstra: You make a good point. If, however, the feature is neither obvious nor discoverable, then it's probably not a good feature to have in GARE, since the main purpose of GARE is to provide obvious enhancements to the interface. This feature will likely be dropped whenever I update the script for the new version of Google Analytics.

August 16, 2011 12:56 PM

yoray said:

hi Jeremy, first I'll like to say that GARE is amazing job you did there with javascript - truly pro.

now for about this post... i didn't get how to make this feature works:
-i click the advance manager
-i select the "make default" checkbox of the segments that i would like to see by default

and nothing happens, what do i need to do now? im trying to refresh the page or going back to the dashboard - nothing...

what did i missed?

September 17, 2011 9:31 PM

Jeremy Aube, Director of Engineering Author Profile Page said:

@yoray: Now that you've selected those advanced segments, the next time you view the profile from the Analytics Settings page, those advanced segment will automatically be applied to the profile.

September 19, 2011 7:52 AM

daniel markus said:

This post is disappointing. And I'm feeling too lazy to explain why.

April 8, 2010 1:40 AM

April 8, 2010 7:26 AM

Jeremy said:

Hey Jeremy,

Will you be updating the script to accommodate these changes?! Please say yes!

Cheers (and don't worry about that negative post above..)

- Jeremy

July 29, 2010 10:04 AM

July 29, 2010 10:45 AM

zylstra said:

August 16, 2011 12:14 PM

August 16, 2011 12:56 PM

yoray said:

now for about this post... i didn't get how to make this feature works:
-i click the advance manager

what did i missed?

September 17, 2011 9:31 PM

September 19, 2011 7:52 AM

daniel markus said:

This post is disappointing. And I'm feeling too lazy to explain why.

April 8, 2010 1:40 AM

April 8, 2010 7:26 AM

Jeremy said:

Hey Jeremy,

Will you be updating the script to accommodate these changes?! Please say yes!

Cheers (and don't worry about that negative post above..)

- Jeremy

July 29, 2010 10:04 AM

July 29, 2010 10:45 AM

zylstra said:

August 16, 2011 12:14 PM

August 16, 2011 12:56 PM

yoray said:

now for about this post... i didn't get how to make this feature works:
-i click the advance manager

what did i missed?

September 17, 2011 9:31 PM

September 19, 2011 7:52 AM

daniel markus said:

This post is disappointing. And I'm feeling too lazy to explain why.

April 8, 2010 1:40 AM

April 8, 2010 7:26 AM

Jeremy said:

Hey Jeremy,

Will you be updating the script to accommodate these changes?! Please say yes!

Cheers (and don't worry about that negative post above..)

- Jeremy

July 29, 2010 10:04 AM

July 29, 2010 10:45 AM

zylstra said:

August 16, 2011 12:14 PM

August 16, 2011 12:56 PM

yoray said:

now for about this post... i didn't get how to make this feature works:
-i click the advance manager

what did i missed?

September 17, 2011 9:31 PM

September 19, 2011 7:52 AM

daniel markus said:

This post is disappointing. And I'm feeling too lazy to explain why.

April 8, 2010 1:40 AM

April 8, 2010 7:26 AM

Jeremy said:

Hey Jeremy,

Will you be updating the script to accommodate these changes?! Please say yes!

Cheers (and don't worry about that negative post above..)

- Jeremy

July 29, 2010 10:04 AM

July 29, 2010 10:45 AM

zylstra said:

August 16, 2011 12:14 PM

August 16, 2011 12:56 PM

yoray said:

now for about this post... i didn't get how to make this feature works:
-i click the advance manager

what did i missed?

September 17, 2011 9:31 PM

September 19, 2011 7:52 AM

daniel markus said:

This post is disappointing. And I'm feeling too lazy to explain why.

April 8, 2010 1:40 AM

April 8, 2010 7:26 AM

Jeremy said:

Hey Jeremy,

Will you be updating the script to accommodate these changes?! Please say yes!

Cheers (and don't worry about that negative post above..)

- Jeremy

July 29, 2010 10:04 AM

July 29, 2010 10:45 AM

zylstra said:

August 16, 2011 12:14 PM

August 16, 2011 12:56 PM

yoray said:

now for about this post... i didn't get how to make this feature works:
-i click the advance manager

what did i missed?

September 17, 2011 9:31 PM

September 19, 2011 7:52 AM

daniel markus said:

This post is disappointing. And I'm feeling too lazy to explain why.

April 8, 2010 1:40 AM

April 8, 2010 7:26 AM

Jeremy said:

Hey Jeremy,

Will you be updating the script to accommodate these changes?! Please say yes!

Cheers (and don't worry about that negative post above..)

- Jeremy

July 29, 2010 10:04 AM

July 29, 2010 10:45 AM

zylstra said:

August 16, 2011 12:14 PM

August 16, 2011 12:56 PM

yoray said:

now for about this post... i didn't get how to make this feature works:
-i click the advance manager

what did i missed?

September 17, 2011 9:31 PM

September 19, 2011 7:52 AM

daniel markus said:

This post is disappointing. And I'm feeling too lazy to explain why.

April 8, 2010 1:40 AM

April 8, 2010 7:26 AM

Jeremy said:

Hey Jeremy,

Will you be updating the script to accommodate these changes?! Please say yes!

Cheers (and don't worry about that negative post above..)

- Jeremy