Get More from the Navigation Summary and Pivot Tables

December 1, 2009

Back in August, a tip was released on the Official Google Analytics Blog that allows you to export more than 500 rows from a report. In the post, this technique was used to export more than 500 rows worth of keyword data. Here we often use this technique to export more than 500 rows worth of pages from the Top Content report.

What you may not realize is that you can also use this trick to export more than 10 previous and next pages from the Navigation Summary report. As you may recall, the navigation summary report looks something like this:

navigation.gif

In some case, 10 previous and next pages may be just what you need. But what if you want more?

First, look up at the address bar. For Google Analytics reports, you will often see some anchor text at the end of the URL. For example, this URL:

contains the following anchor text:

#lts=1259675463422

The first step is to remove this, including the pound symbol (#) from the URL. Next, add the following to the end of the URL:

&limit=50000

You cannot export more than 50,000 rows, so it's usually a good idea just to set the limit to this to get as many rows as possible. If you only want the first 1000, you can always set limit=1000 instead.

After adding this to the URL, hit enter and wait for the page to reload. Note that the page will not look any different than before. Adding limit=50000 only affects what you get in the export, not what you see in the interface. Also, only the CSV and TSV exports are affected. You can't get a PDF or XML with more than 10 previous and next pages. You can't even use the CSV for Excel export. But plain, old CSV and TSV work just fine.

There's not much more to say about this, so we'll move on to the next technique.

Pivot tables in Google Analytics are pretty neat. They allow you to see a two dimensional view of your data for a given metric or two. One way we might want to use pivot tables would be to see the number of visits made for each of our keywords, grouped by the hour of day:

pivot.gif

What's this? You can't pivot by the hour of day? Download GARE and then come back quick!

So as you'll notice, you can only see the first 5 hours. And by first 5 hours I mean the 5 hours that had the highest number of visits. You can also cycle through the rest of the hours in chunks of 5.

Or you can add this parameter to the URL in the address bar:

&tcols=50000

You should remember to remove the anchor text and hit enter when you're done like before. Unfortunately, the report will now revert to a previously unpivoted state. You'll need to get back to the report you were looking at previously, but once you're there, you should see as many columns as are available. In this case, there should be 24 columns (though you may have less if you have hours without visits):

pivot2.gif

Note, if try to filter the report, you'll lose the extra pivot columns and revert back to only 5. There is a way to get around this. For example, let's say you filtered by "cheese" to only show keywords containing cheese. instead of just adding &tcols=5, add the following:

&tcols=50000&q=cheese&tpivk=hour

This will result in a pre-filtered report. You can then select pivot as before and see as many pivot columns as you like for keywords containing cheese. Note that we also added &tpivk=hour to pivot by hour of the day. That's because as soon as you change what you're pivoting by, you'll lose the filter. So there's quite a bit more involved if you need a filtered report, but it's still doable.

Now the only problem remaining is that there's no good way to sort by hour. At least not from the interface. You can export to CSV and do a vertical sort on the columns to get everything in order by hour. And if you're needing more than 500 rows worth of keywords containing cheese, pivoted by hour, you can also add &limit=50000:

&tcols=50000&q=cheese&tpivk=hour&limit=50000

If you were able to make good use of one of these tips, let me know! I'd also like to hear any suggestions for improvement or other things you might like to be able to do with the Google Analytics Interface, but aren't sure if it can be done. Maybe you'd like to see this made into a Greasemonkey script or add-on? Let me know!

Google Analytics for Online Advertisers
Here at ROI Revolution, we consider Google Analytics tracking essential for paid search, so it's included in our PPC Campaign Management service.

Comments

Claudiu said:

And of course we would like to see this as a GreaseMonkey script.

I especially love the way you can jungle with the Pivot feature. Going deep into it, Pivot tables must be the coolest functionality Google Analytics offers. Way in front of other major very expensive tools out there.

Very nice trick, as usual ;)

I'm trying to export 500 columns and 50000 rows but it seems that GA doesn't like that:)

Hi Jeremy,

I was looking for quite some time how to get all the URLs for previous & next visits. You post just made my day. Thanks a lot for your great posts!

Jeremy,

I'm buying you a beer if you ever come to Tampa for showing me the pivot tip. a really really big beer. this post is excellent.

Hi,

This report (see URL) is sent to me once a month (I think) in PDF. The strange thing is that it shows all of the report (i.e. more than 10 pages). I would like all my other reports like this, but can't seem to find the problem. I have tried what you suggest above (removing the anchor text and adding &limit=50000) but this doesn't solve my problem.

Can you please help me?

And I've got another problem as well. I can't send reports to my e-mail any more. It just says that the report is sent but I never receive it.

Jeremy Aube, Director of Engineering Author Profile Page said:

@Louise: Adding "&limit=50000" only affects .csv exports. To email more than 10 rows via PDF, you'll want to make sure to set the number of rows displayed before emailing the report. If you've already emailed the report with only 10 rows, you'll have to set up a new email for that report.

For the second issue, I'm not sure why you wouldn't be receiving any more emails. You might want to try to isolate the issue, for example, see if you receive emails to an alternate email address. You might also want to check your spam folder and/or settings and see if those emails might be getting blocked. If it seems like it might be a problem internal to Google Analytics, then you'll probably need to get support from us or another Google Analytics Certified Partner to resolve it.

Jeremy Aube, Director of Engineering Author Profile Page said:

@Amit: The &limit=50000 trick is known to work for pretty much any report. I hadn't seen anyone mention that it could also be used for the navigation summary report, which is why I wanted to point out that specific example for this post.

The &tcols=50000 trick isn't quite as well known, but it should work for any report that allows you to pivot.

Hi,

Thanks. This method appears to work only for the first 100 columns. Is there a way to download say a 1000 columns?

Jeremy Aube, Director of Engineering Author Profile Page said:

@AK: Unfortunately I don't think there's a way to get around that limit. I would either switch the X and Y dimensions or use the API to automate the process.

Hi,

Is this trick still works on Navigation Summary? I've tried adding the "&limit=1000" thing to the end of the URL several times, but the exported CSV files are still showing 10 rows only...

Jeremy Aube, Director of Engineering Author Profile Page said:

@Miguel: I would use the Google Analytics Query Explorer instead. Setting the dimensions field to ga:PreviousPagePath and ga:NextPagePath and the metrics field to ga:pageviews, along with appropriate filtering and sorting, will give you up to 10,000 rows at one time for "half" of the navigation summary report. For example, to get all the pages before the home page, you would set filters field to ga:nextPagePath==/index.html and the sort field to -ga:pageviews. To get all the pages after the home page, just change ga:nextPagePath to ga:PreviousPagePath in the filters field.