Refresh Rate: the latest addition to the GARE

August 5, 2009

Img-water.gifAs some of you may have noticed (Amit), there has recently been a new addition to the Google Analytics Report Enhancer. Refresh Rate is a new metric that was conceived of by Caleb Whitmore of Google Analytics Authorized Consulting firm Analytics Pros. This metric gives you a great way to measure user engagement at the pageview level. I could say more, but Caleb has written a fantastic post that gives the whole story on Refresh Rate, of which the inclusion into the Report Enhancer is but a small part.

Now that Refresh Rate has joined the GARE family, it's a great time to download the latest version of the Report Enhancer. Here are the steps:

1. Get Firefox
  2. Get Greasemonkey
  3. Get the GARE

The latest updates to the GARE include:

• Refresh Rate
  • New Dimensions:
    • Market (Thanks to Caleb again for this one)
    • Hour of the day
    • Day
    • Week
    • Month
  • Additional Segments for Secondary Segmentation and Pivot Tables
  • Improved Advanced Segment handling
  • Improved Data Sampling Handling
  • Deselect All Visits for two or more Advanced Segments

And just in case that wasn't enough for some of you (Amit), I'm planning on doing another post either late today or early tomorrow to reveal a new Greasemonkey script that I've decided to release independently of the GARE for now. So you may want to stay tuned :)

Google Analytics for Online Advertisers
Here at ROI Revolution, we consider Google Analytics tracking essential for paid search, so it's included in our PPC Campaign Management service.

Comments

Adrian said:

Ooohhh; is your new script going to do calculations on the fly? Maybe even some control limits to heat things up, etc? That's something I've wanted for so long; do you know of anything like that?

Jeremy Aube, Director of Engineering Author Profile Page said:

@Adrian: Nope, that's not it, but nice guess. There's a Juice Analytics script (now a firefox add-on) that might do some things similar to what you're asking. Otherwise, give me an example of something you'd like a GreaseMonkey script to be able to do. I'm always open to new ideas.

Lawrence said:

Hi - thanks for this. Am struggling to get the new features mentioned using this script though. Using FF3.0.11, and have greasemonkey and the script installed successfully - I can see the true time on site function in the traffic sources reports. However, no joy on the refresh rate. Any ideas? Thanks

Jeremy Aube, Director of Engineering Author Profile Page said:

@Lawrence: Refresh Rate is a page metric, so I would try checking out the top content report and see if you spot it there.

Lawrence said:

Sorry - didn't make myself clear. I've been looking for the refresh rate metric on the content reports, but to no avail. However part of the script is working, because I'm able to see the true-time metric on the traffic sources reports.

Jeremy Aube, Director of Engineering Author Profile Page said:

@Lawrence: Refresh Rate should be on the Top Content report in the third column after pageviews and unique pageviews. If you don't see it, you should try downloading the script again. You may want to clear your cache to make sure that you're getting the latest version.

If you're still having no luck, make sure that the Report Enhancer logo appears at the top of the page next to the Google Analytics logo and that there aren't any errors on the page.

Lawrence said:

Thanks for the advice. However, I've tried that, and despite clearing the cache and reinstalling, it's just the same - no refresh rate in the top content report. The logo is by the GA logo at the top, there are no errors on the page - says "Done" in the bottom left of the screen.

1. Updated to Firefox 3.0.13
2. Uninstall the script. Restart Firefox and make sure it's uninstalled. Then re-install the script.

Lawrence said:

I'll have to go and plead with the IT dept to allow me to upgrade then. Thanks for your help!

How have I managed without this brilliant Greasemonkey script..??!!!

I have a quick question about time-of-day. How can I be sure that the script is picking up the correct timezone for my sites? They're all GMT.

Jeremy Aube, Director of Engineering Author Profile Page said:

@James: The script shouldn't be doing anything with timezones, so as long as your Google Analytics settings are correct, you should be fine. Was there a particular report or feature of GARE that you were concerned about?