10 Words Or Less: Put Your Unique Selling Proposition To The Test

March 17, 2009

standout.pngIn today's competitive market there are thousands of decisions that people make on a day to day basis. A number of companies seem to blend together when it comes to meeting each of your potential customers business needs. What makes your company different? Why should people buy from you?

A Unique Selling Proposition is a statement, usually 10 words or less, that tells your potential customers why they should hire or buy from you instead of your competitors. Your Unique Selling Proposition (USP) or Value Proposition (VP) should be stated right away on your website to let visitors know who you are and why they should remain on your site. This should be a statement regarding why your company is the better choice, and what makes you unique. Not only should this statement be clearly expressed on your website, but it should be something you build your business around. Keeping this all to about 10 words or less can get tricky, but clarifying what you do best will allow your visitors to qualify themselves for your offer.

Some companies have become known for their value propositions, such as:

FedEx: "When your package absolutely, positively has to get there overnight"

Domino Pizza: "We deliver hot, fresh pizza in 30 minutes or less, guaranteed."

So how should you develop yours?

Developing a USP can prove to be quite a challenge, and there are some things you should take into consideration. First, who exactly are your services designed for? Zero in specifically on the type of industry, department, technology, and values. What are your prospects struggling with? What's not working for them? What do they hope to do? After they've solved their problems, what will they do next? What have you got that nobody else has? And how is this an advantage to your clients? Keep all of these aspects in mind while trying to develop your value proposition.

Once you've carefully constructed a few of your potential USPs you should implement a test on your website to see which USP performs the best. Google Website Optimizer can help you to determine the best performer, and you will be able to use your new USP to increase your websites conversion rates. Make sure you carry your new USP throughout all marketing materials from advertising copy to direct mailings to help boost your marketing efforts.

If you're not experimenting online yet, get started with our Online Google Website Optimizer Training Videos. Happy Testing!

If our experiences with paid search have taught us anything, it's that deliberate keyword lists, tightly structured accounts, and proven ads are only half of the equation. Intuitive landing pages tested with Google Website Optimizer experiments are just as essential for profitable PPC results. Learn more about how we maximize ROI from the search to the finalized sale.

Comments

Gerrid said:

This is probably one of the most important things you can test. I would definitely recommend that you write 2-3 USP's and see which one works best with your target market.

March 18, 2009 2:26 PM

Listorbit said:

Always Catchy heading plays big time role to engage web site visitors and later sells.

March 19, 2009 8:02 AM

Matt Siesing, PPC Specialist Author Profile Page said:

@Listorbit:Yes I agree, although even if it isn't catchy -as long as it gets the point across to your visitors what makes you different from everyone else, it will help to make the decision for your potential customers to purchase from you. Thanks for reading!

March 20, 2009 1:55 PM

steaprok said:

I read your post, and I knew I just knew you were at the LPO workshop this weekend ... :) Good Stuff!

March 21, 2009 12:59 AM

Matt Siesing, PPC Specialist Author Profile Page said:

@ steaprok: Yes we were, and we definitely learned quite a bit! I'm glad you enjoyed the article, and thanks for reading!

March 23, 2009 5:47 PM

Shuki Haiminis said:

Caitlin...great post!

What is the LPO workshop, can I get some more info on it?

March 23, 2009 8:59 PM

peterK said:

Very interesting and relevant stuff. Really enjoyed your article.

March 25, 2009 12:12 AM

Gerrid said:

March 18, 2009 2:26 PM

Listorbit said:

March 19, 2009 8:02 AM

March 20, 2009 1:55 PM

steaprok said:

March 21, 2009 12:59 AM

March 23, 2009 5:47 PM

Shuki Haiminis said:

Caitlin...great post!

What is the LPO workshop, can I get some more info on it?

March 23, 2009 8:59 PM

peterK said:

Very interesting and relevant stuff. Really enjoyed your article.

March 25, 2009 12:12 AM

Gerrid said:

March 18, 2009 2:26 PM

Listorbit said:

March 19, 2009 8:02 AM

March 20, 2009 1:55 PM

steaprok said:

March 21, 2009 12:59 AM

March 23, 2009 5:47 PM

Shuki Haiminis said:

Caitlin...great post!

What is the LPO workshop, can I get some more info on it?

March 23, 2009 8:59 PM

peterK said:

Very interesting and relevant stuff. Really enjoyed your article.

March 25, 2009 12:12 AM

Gerrid said:

March 18, 2009 2:26 PM

Listorbit said:

March 19, 2009 8:02 AM

March 20, 2009 1:55 PM

steaprok said:

March 21, 2009 12:59 AM

March 23, 2009 5:47 PM

Shuki Haiminis said:

Caitlin...great post!

What is the LPO workshop, can I get some more info on it?

March 23, 2009 8:59 PM

peterK said:

Very interesting and relevant stuff. Really enjoyed your article.

March 25, 2009 12:12 AM

Gerrid said:

March 18, 2009 2:26 PM

Listorbit said:

March 19, 2009 8:02 AM

March 20, 2009 1:55 PM

steaprok said:

March 21, 2009 12:59 AM

March 23, 2009 5:47 PM

Shuki Haiminis said:

Caitlin...great post!

What is the LPO workshop, can I get some more info on it?

March 23, 2009 8:59 PM

peterK said:

Very interesting and relevant stuff. Really enjoyed your article.

March 25, 2009 12:12 AM

Gerrid said:

March 18, 2009 2:26 PM

Listorbit said:

March 19, 2009 8:02 AM

March 20, 2009 1:55 PM

steaprok said:

March 21, 2009 12:59 AM

March 23, 2009 5:47 PM

Shuki Haiminis said:

Caitlin...great post!

What is the LPO workshop, can I get some more info on it?

March 23, 2009 8:59 PM

peterK said:

Very interesting and relevant stuff. Really enjoyed your article.

March 25, 2009 12:12 AM

Gerrid said:

March 18, 2009 2:26 PM

Listorbit said:

March 19, 2009 8:02 AM

March 20, 2009 1:55 PM

steaprok said:

March 21, 2009 12:59 AM

March 23, 2009 5:47 PM

Shuki Haiminis said:

Caitlin...great post!

What is the LPO workshop, can I get some more info on it?

March 23, 2009 8:59 PM

peterK said:

Very interesting and relevant stuff. Really enjoyed your article.

March 25, 2009 12:12 AM