Get ga.js code for your Google Website Optimizer experiments

January 9, 2009

roi_logo.gifAs part of the expanding scope of the Google Analytics Report Enhancer, you will now be able to see the ga.js equivalent code for your Google Website Optimizer experiments.

In addition, I have also added checkboxes that will allow many of your to quickly modify your code for tracking across subdomains and/or multiple domains. These options will also be available whenever you create new profiles in Google Analytics or check the status of your profile data.

This is an extension of Shawn's valuable post on installing Website Optimizer if you use Google Analytics. The Google Analytics Report Enhancer can simplify this process, but you should still refer to the post for additional details on where everything goes, how everything works, and handling specific situations.

If you need the latest version of the GAREnhancer, click here.

The GAREnhancer is a Greasemonkey script. If you don't have Greasemonkey, you can get it by clicking here.

If you have no clue what the GAREnhancer does, you can read the original article by clicking here

I have also added a feature to alert you if a critical update for the script is available. If you see the words "Update Needed!" next to the Report Enhancer logo in the header, you can click them to download the latest version of the script. Once you've installed the updated script and refreshed the page, the image should no longer be visible.

There's probably a lot of ways this new feature can be improved, so leave a comment if you think something else should be added, or if you found this script particularly useful.

If you would like some additional help with the topics discussed today, you might want to check out the versatile Support Plans we offer.

Google Analytics for Online Advertisers
Here at ROI Revolution, we consider Google Analytics tracking essential for paid search, so it's included in our PPC Campaign Management service.

Comments

Kasper said:

Hi Jerry,

Great script, been using it for a long time, and love the fact that you are always so quick to update the script when changes are added to Google Analytics.

I seem to have some difficulties showing the GAREnhancer columns when comparing two date ranges in Google Analytics. Is it just me, or is that something you could look into?

Best regards
Kaser

January 12, 2009 5:25 AM

Jeremy Aube, Director of Engineering Author Profile Page said:

@Kasper: I have not yet addressed the two date range reports case, but I will definitely look into doing that.

January 12, 2009 8:30 AM

Erik Vold said:

Very handy, thanks!

January 13, 2009 4:45 PM

Mark said:

Thanks for this Script! I had to reboot Firefox and when I looked for my favorite scripts I see talented individuals like you have made killer scripts like this one. You have made my life better! Thank you.

May 8, 2009 1:21 AM

Emily said:

Thanks, this is great!

December 28, 2009 1:39 PM

Mark said:

Where exactly do you see the ga.js script for GWO.

Which report etc?

I can't see it anywhere.

Thanks

June 15, 2010 1:00 AM

Jeremy Aube, Director of Engineering Author Profile Page said:

@Mark: ga.js is now the default for Google Website Optimizer experiments, so you should see this code even without the greasemonkey script. This is the code that's provided on the "Tag Pages" step of setting up the experiment, if you elect to install and validate the javascript tags yourself.

The greasemonkey script still provides you with the option to view the legacy or urchin.js version of the Google Website Optimizer code. It also allows you to easily modify your code for subdomains, multiple domains, or both.

June 15, 2010 7:42 AM

Jon Payne said:

Jeremy,

I love the tool. Thanks!

Found an error though...

If you are using the part where it shows you total conversions in Analytics by multiplying the goal conversion rate by the visits number... if you visit a report and by default it sorts DSC by visits, and then you click on the "_____ conversions" heading to sort DSC according to that its broken, it won't show you all of the conversions. For instance, for one report I'm viewing there were a total of 9 conversions. It shows me 2 as the first number and then 1 and then 0, 0, 0, etc. But when I click on another column and then click back on that column it shows 2, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1 (all 9 conversions). The error is a misleading one b/c otherwise I would have thought I only had 3 total conversions. It just depends on if you click the heading as your first click or if you click a few other columns and then click on it.

July 8, 2010 5:41 PM

Jeremy Aube, Director of Engineering Author Profile Page said:

@John: It's less of an error and more a limitation of the tool. It's non-trivial to sort rows that aren't visible, so at the time I wrote it to sort visible rows only. The data table header total is calculated differently, so it should show the correct total number of conversions.

I would recommend sorting by conversion rate and displaying 500 rows in order to get the full list. I may build in functionality to sort non-visible rows as well at some point in the future but there's nothing in the works at the moment.

July 9, 2010 8:26 AM

January 13, 2009 4:45 PM

May 8, 2009 1:21 AM

Emily said:

Thanks, this is great!

December 28, 2009 1:39 PM

Mark said:

Where exactly do you see the ga.js script for GWO.

Which report etc?

January 13, 2009 4:45 PM

May 8, 2009 1:21 AM

Emily said:

Thanks, this is great!

December 28, 2009 1:39 PM

Mark said:

Where exactly do you see the ga.js script for GWO.

Which report etc?

January 13, 2009 4:45 PM

May 8, 2009 1:21 AM

Emily said:

Thanks, this is great!

December 28, 2009 1:39 PM

Mark said:

Where exactly do you see the ga.js script for GWO.

Which report etc?

January 13, 2009 4:45 PM

May 8, 2009 1:21 AM

Emily said:

Thanks, this is great!

December 28, 2009 1:39 PM

Mark said:

Where exactly do you see the ga.js script for GWO.

Which report etc?

January 13, 2009 4:45 PM

May 8, 2009 1:21 AM

Emily said:

Thanks, this is great!

December 28, 2009 1:39 PM

Mark said:

Where exactly do you see the ga.js script for GWO.

Which report etc?

January 13, 2009 4:45 PM

May 8, 2009 1:21 AM

Emily said:

Thanks, this is great!

December 28, 2009 1:39 PM

Mark said:

Where exactly do you see the ga.js script for GWO.

Which report etc?

January 13, 2009 4:45 PM

May 8, 2009 1:21 AM

Emily said:

Thanks, this is great!

December 28, 2009 1:39 PM

Mark said:

Where exactly do you see the ga.js script for GWO.

Which report etc?

January 13, 2009 4:45 PM

May 8, 2009 1:21 AM

Emily said:

Thanks, this is great!

December 28, 2009 1:39 PM

Mark said:

Where exactly do you see the ga.js script for GWO.

Which report etc?