Website Optimizer Wednesdays - Landing Page Relevance

November 3, 2008

Camera RAW.jpg

Last weekend I was at Barnes & Noble looking for a book on editing RAW format photographs in Adobe Photoshop CS3. The very first book that caught my eye was titled "Photoshop CS3 RAW: Get the Most Out of the Raw Format with Adobe Photoshop, Camera Raw, and Bridge." I excitedly picked up the book and began paging through it, only to be disappointed to find that the focus of the book was weighted more towards Camera Raw and Bridge and had very little to offer in terms of Photoshop.

This same situation is far too often paralleled in the world of paid search traffic. For almost any keyword imaginable there exists any number of seemingly relevant ads that reflect the logic behind the search term, but often only a select follow up on the ad with a relevant landing page. Not many users will stick around on a page without immediate relevance, especially when armed with increasingly easy to use back buttons and hundreds of other advertisers to choose from.

Target.com clearly has some relevancy issues with their paid search advertising. A co-worker recently sarcastically stated about their online ad campaigns – "It’s like they opened up a dictionary and started bidding on every word they could find regardless of whether or not they sell the product."

My back was kind of sore when I was writing this article, so I searched for "back massager" on Google.

backmassagersearch_small.png

Sure enough, there was Target with another one of their ads aimed at anyone searching for anything on the internet. At least they sell back massagers so let’s see what their landing page has to offer.

Target_small.png

Target.com you’ve done it again! Target.com actually sells back massagers (some pretty nice ones too), but their landing page clearly isn’t focused on the searched for product. In fact, make-up has nothing to do with what I was looking for on this search. As usual, I had to use the back button and move on. This is a pretty drastic example, but many paid search marketers seem to follow this same logic.

Target.com (and you) can improve upon your existing landing pages by asking yourself some simple questions:
  1. What is your conversion goal? Be specific.
  2. How does the keyword (or keyword group) you are bidding on relate to your conversion goal?
  3. How does your ad relate to your conversion goal?

After you’ve answered these three questions you’ll be ready to create a more relevant landing page. Target.com sells massage chairs, so their conversion goal in this case is to sell me a message chair for my aching back. The keyword "back massager" clearly has this goal in mind, as does their ad copy. Given these premises, it follows logically that the landing page should be geared towards getting me to buy a massage chair. Obviously Target.com has some work to do, but you can avoid simple mistakes like these by keeping the three basic questions above in mind when analyzing your current landing pages and creating new ones.

Relevance is just one of many common issues I come across when analyzing landing pages. We are always testing at ROI. If you want to learn more about using Google Website Optimizer and what you should be testing on your landing pages the you can check out the Google Website Optimizer Training Series on January 8th. The training will cover landing page principles, basic, and advanced testing techniques. Join us for the online training and start improving your website's performance!

Want more of Website Optimizer Wednesdays? Check out the rest of the series!

Exclude Internal Traffic from GWO | Optimize Your Call to Action | Landing Page Relevance | Choosing the Right Test Page | GWO and GA Renew Their Vows

If our experiences with paid search have taught us anything, it's that deliberate keyword lists, tightly structured accounts, and proven ads are only half of the equation. Intuitive landing pages tested with Google Website Optimizer experiments are just as essential for profitable PPC results. Learn more about how we maximize ROI from the search to the finalized sale.

Comments

jamie said:

2 days later Target has corrected their landing page. I did the same search but found I was taken to this page: http://www.target.com/b/180-6964090-0125061?node=1042004&ref=tgt_adv_XSHA3105&AFID=googlestr&CPNG=beauty&LNM=back_massager&LID=

I'm so sick of Target's ads showing up for everything and leading me to useless pages that I don't even click on them anymore. Their SEM agency should be fired.

November 5, 2008 1:40 PM

Jake Lucky said:

Hah it looks like it's still the same page. Apparently there are three clickable tabs numbered 1-3 and you can land on any one of the them when you arrive on the page.

November 5, 2008 3:03 PM

Jerry said:

Jamie,

Just want to chime in and agree with your observation. I too no longer go to the Target links in a search because I know that I will be taken to their site and then still have to look for what I want. It is a waste of time when there are more thoughtful and accurate links showing up in a search.

Jerry

November 14, 2008 9:53 AM

googalooza said:

I just found this analytics blog by luck and I am impressed by the quality of its content. Good job guys!

December 15, 2008 5:47 PM

zero gravity massage chair said:

i also found your analysis a quiet good one. i too no longer go in the target link. cause i know it will be taken.

November 8, 2009 8:30 PM