Landing Page Magic: Top 3 Tips

May 14, 2008

As many of you know, your landing page is the page that visitors see after clicking on one of your ads, such as a Google AdWords ad.

This page could be part of your website or a special page you created just for this purpose.

Your landing pages are a core ingredient that can make or break the success of your advertising.

Why? Because your advertising doesn't exist in a vacuum. On average visitors spend less than 10 seconds looking at a landing page to decide if they want to read more, or click that 'back' button and leave.

With the rallying cry "Landing Pages Forever!" behind us, we came up with 3 tips for stirring a little magic into your own landing pages.

1.) The Ad And Landing Page Should Match.

This may seem like common sense, but in reality you often don't see this. If your ad holds out the tantalizing promise of 10% Off, make sure that same promise is reflected in the landing page headline and content.

When a visitor is searching for something, they know they have a whole page full of search results just one click away. If your ad-to-landing-page-progression doesn't make sense to them they are just going to move on to the next result.

2.) Focus On Getting Your Visitors To Do 1 Thing

While I'm surfing the internet, I often see landing pages that go to either extreme - they don't tell me to do anything, or they try to get me to do a million things. Both of these tactics are confusing and will water down the power of your landing page.

The key is to decide the one key action you want your visitors to take on this landing page, and then TELL them. Don't make them guess or hunt around!

Your visitors aren't stupid. Few people give 100% of their attention to reading your landing page. They're also busy worrying if they left the coffee pot on this morning or that big report the boss wants them to finish by the end of the week. Your landing page has to make use of the narrow slice of attention you get and be crystal clear about what they should do.

3.) Include A Prominent Subscription Form Or Checkout Option

This ties in to #2. Once you have decided exactly what you want your visitors to do on your landing page, don't make them click around on a massive treasure hunt to do it.

Make sure they can follow your instructions easily right on the landing page itself. Part of making something easy is making it prominent - don't make the form tiny, or bury it all the way at the bottom of a 10-mile-long landing page.

ROI Revolution used the Google Website Optimizer Tools to set up an experiment for a client's landing page. After intensive research in his field, his competition, and his ideal customer, we designed a Google Website Optimizer experiment where we tested 3 different headlines, 3 different images, and 4 different button text versions.

The best combination of the test variables resulted in an improvement of 221% over his original page.

Now the pay-per-click advertising he is bidding on to drive traffic to that landing page is 221% more effective than it was on the old landing page, and he doesn't have to spend a dime more on his pay-per-click advertising for that sustainable increase.

If our experiences with paid search have taught us anything, it's that deliberate keyword lists, tightly structured accounts, and proven ads are only half of the equation. Intuitive landing pages tested with Google Website Optimizer experiments are just as essential for profitable PPC results. Learn more about how we maximize ROI from the search to the finalized sale.

Comments

Tim said:

Not able to find a topic that links directly to my area of concern. When I'm testing different ads how can I distinguish between the ads that have the same headline but different body copy, they seem to be grouped by headline.

July 12, 2008 6:10 PM

Audio Bible said:

I want to reduce the bounce rate on my home page. I am planning on running a test to remove a couple of graphics from the header file.

To see if reduced clutter will REDUCE the bounce rate. I understand I need code on any results page to measure so if I have 25 pages linked off of the home page, I need to install the code for the test on these 25 pages, right?

Also once I install the code on these pages, if I run more tests later on, does this code change everything on the results page(s)?

Does each test have different results code on the conversion page(s) or can I place one piece of code on all the pages?

August 27, 2008 1:31 PM

Shawn Purtell, Senior Web Analytics Engineer Author Profile Page said:

@ Audio Bible:

The easiest solution if Bounce Rate is your key metric is to use a free analytics platform like Google Analytics, which will calculate Bounce Rate for you. Then you can run a simple A/B test and look at the difference in Bounce Rates within Google Analytics for the two pages.

However, if you insist on using Google Website Optimizer for this task, then you have a few different options, one of which is to put the conversion code on all 25 linked pages. This code would be the same for each of those pages, and would need to be changed if you were to run subsequent tests. Unless you are doing a follow-up or copying a multivariate experiment, the conversion page code will change with each test. This is another reason why using something like Google Analytics is better for your particular situation.

Hope that helps!

September 8, 2008 7:49 AM

Goran Web said:

I find that landing pages are so difficult to get right. Do you recommend any websites or books that teach us to understand the psychology behind different types of users.

I have ready many case studies of big famous sites but I am looking for small simple site case studies. Thanks in advance.

September 16, 2008 3:06 PM

Silvia said:

Hello there, thanks for the post! When doing split testing with Logaholic Web Analytics it also gives you the bounce rate, conversion and traffic for each version. This makes it easier to decide on the better version, since you have 3 parameters to compare. GA does not go that far, unfortunately.

October 20, 2009 10:31 AM

Rex Dixon said:

Have you had a chance to check out either A/B Tests or Performable? Both are doing great things for the testing and landing page biz. Give them a look when you get a moment.

April 7, 2010 3:52 PM