Tracking PayPal Transactions in Google Analytics

February 13, 2007

00_paypal.gifWe've had a lot of people enrolled in our Google Analytics Quick-Start Courses asking about PayPal. We've helped a few of our clients track PayPal e-commerce within Google Analytics, thanks to the Payment Data Transfer function and a bit of scripting on the back-end.

This method has only been tested with Buy Now buttons, and in all fairness, isn't much more than a hack. There are a couple of drawbacks. Because you cannot tag PayPal pages with the Google Analytics JavaScript, you will not have accurate funnel data for your e-commerce conversion goal. All converting visitors will leave your site (and move to PayPal) before coming back and registering their transaction. This will also result in an artificial hike in your total visits. That being said, it gets PayPal transaction data into Google Analytics, and is also relatively easy for those who are familiar with HTML, scripting, and general web development. Not everyone is going to understand this stuff, and if you find the whole mess a little too much, we're happy to help out with one of our Google Analytics support plans. Otherwise, read on and learn about how to track your PayPal transactions in Google Analytics.

First things first, you'll need to enable Payment Data Transfer (PDT) in your PayPal account. This allows you to transfer payment details (the item purchased, the transaction amount, geographical location of buyer, etc.) to your own website domain.

I've found that enabling PDT is a bit of a pain, not because it's difficult but because it's hard to find the option in PayPal's interface. Immediately after logging into PayPal, click the Merchant Services tab. On the right of the screen is a list of Key Features for the PayPal Website Payments Standard. Click the 'View All Features' link.

Under Backend Integration, toward the bottom of the page, you'll see the Payment Data Transfer information. Select 'Set It Up'.

Here, read through the information and enable Auto-Return and PDT. Follow the instructions to get this working for your PayPal account. You'll need to create a hidden landing page on your site that collects the Payment Data (PayPal offers examples for ASP/VBScript, Cold Fusion, PERL and PHP). We'll come back to that in just a bit, though.

Next, create your Buy Now buttons as normal. Again, ensure that PDT is enabled for this button and ensure that you have the correct landing page set.

Okay, to review, we currently have PDT enabled for our PayPal account, we have a hidden landing page that collects and stores Payment Data, and we have a Buy It Now button that initiates the whole procedure.

Now, we need to modify the hidden landing page. Currently, this page grabs payment data from PayPal and that's it. What we need to do is store that payment information so that we can pass it from the hidden landing page to a second and final receipt page. One way of doing this is with a JavaScript redirect. Be sure, however, that you grab all of the appropriate variables from the PDT and pass it along to the receipt page, either via the query string, cookies, or post variables.

You must not tag the hidden landing page with the Google Analytics JavaScript. We don't want to count visits to this page. However, you must tag the redirect link to the receipt page with a special parameter called utm_nooverride. We've discussed utm_nooverride before. Basically, this tells Google Analytics not to overwrite existing referral data. We don't want Google Analytics to associate this transaction with PayPal. We want it associated with whatever sent the visitor to our site in the first place. So, be absolutely certain that the link from landing page to receipt page is tagged: http://www.yoursite.com/
thankyouforordering.php?utm_nooverride=1.

Now, we're at the receipt page. What do we do? Well, you'll probably want to provide your visitor with a printable receipt, filling in the data with the variables that you passed from PDT and the landing page. Unlike the landing page, your receipt page is tagged with the Google Analytics script.

You're also going to want to include the hidden Google Analytics e-commerce form, populated with the very same data as in your printable receipt. And you'll need to call the __utmSetTrans function after this hidden form.

To summarize, here's what happens when a visitor from AdWords hits your site and makes a purchase:

1. Enters your site from Google AdWords campaign x, keyword y, etc.

2. Clicks your Buy Now button and leaves your site.

3. Fills out the order form at PayPal and submits payment info.

4. Returns to your hidden landing page with Payment Data provided by PDT, where they are not tracked by Google Analytics, as there is no script on this page.

5. Redirects (immediately) to the receipt page, along with the utm_nooverride parameter, telling Google Analytics not to override their initial referral information.

6. Views printable receipt while their hidden Google Analytics e-commerce form is populated and then sent off for processing by the __utmSetTrans function.

It's a straightforward procedure that involves a little scripting knowledge, but can be set up in an hour or two. It's certainly a hack, for all the reasons mentioned above, but for what it's worth, it's a quick and easy way to get PayPal transactions into Google Analytics.

If this whole procedure is over your head, don't fret. We've done it many times and we'd love to get your PayPal transactions tracking in Google Analytics. Just contact us about one of the many Google Analytics supports plans that we have available.

Google Analytics for Online Advertisers
Here at ROI Revolution, we consider Google Analytics tracking essential for paid search, so it's included in our PPC Campaign Management service.

Comments

pk said:

Hey there, why is the redirect page necessary for this? Why can't the transaction be recorded on the first page?

March 28, 2007 8:40 PM

Hey PK,

Back when we first put this hack together, I had some issues with putting the utm_nooverride parameters straight into the PayPal return URL. I just tested it out, though, and it looks like it'll work. Just be sure to add utm_nooverride=1 to the return URL so that PayPal doesn't overwrite the existing referral data.

March 29, 2007 1:56 PM

ziggy said:

I don't get what the google page instructions are for then but to cover exactly this already. (Quote: "if you send customers from www.mystore.com to www.securecart.com".)

Or is google's just badly worded and you must control www.securecart.com also?

Why the heck doesn't google have a faq page about 3rd party payment services, including google checkout???

August 23, 2007 7:54 AM

Michael Harrison said:

@Ziggy: You need to "control" the third party domain enough to add the Google Analytics Tracking Code to the pages therein.

While Google doesn't touch on every third party payment source, you're wrong about Google Checkout. As we told everyone back in October, Integration for Google Analytics and Google Checkout is extremely easy and very well-documented.

August 24, 2007 10:49 AM

ziggy said:

I did find the google checkout info, thanks, but you'd think they'd have a specific faq about offsite payment processors in general, seeing as ecommerce tracking is a large focus of GA.

You write:

>>you will not have accurate funnel data for your e-commerce conversion goal.

But the Unofficial GA blog says when discussing your method:

>>This means if I made a transaction (which I probably did if I came to the receipt page), it will attribute it to the appropriate source - in this case AdWords.

Which seems to say the funnel would be working. Which is right?

Basically, I'm trying to figure out how to/if I can set up goals/funnels with my customers paying offsite. I can do the scripting easily, I just don't see yet what the result of your method is. A before and after example of what actually shows up in GA would be nice, along with a specific note about goals/funnels.

September 6, 2007 3:02 AM

ziggy said:

My last comment I referred to the Unofficial GA blog as though another site. I meant an earlier post here, of course.

September 6, 2007 3:11 AM

ziggy said:

I submitted a comment several days ago. Why a problem?

September 9, 2007 11:40 PM

Michael Harrison said:

Hey Ziggy, not a problem. Just a recent glut of spam. Shawn's post on utm_nooverride, which I believe you were quoting, mentions that you will retain the referral data (where the visitor came from), but the funnel will still be broken. When a visitor comes back to the site from another site, then Google Analytics will end the session with your site and start a new one.

So, this should mean that your funnel will show an exit and and entrance.

September 14, 2007 10:06 AM

Hair Extensions said:

Hi

I want to enable e-commerce value for my website. here I gathered some information aboy pageTracker._addTrans ..

thanks

April 6, 2009 4:59 AM

Mark said:

G'day,

is there any update on this issue?

January 21, 2010 3:33 AM

Mark Curtis, Paid Search Team Leader Author Profile Page said:

@Mark: At the moment, no. We just haven't had any reason to revisit it recently.

April 20, 2010 10:25 AM

pk said:

March 28, 2007 8:40 PM

Hey PK,

March 29, 2007 1:56 PM

ziggy said:

Or is google's just badly worded and you must control www.securecart.com also?

August 23, 2007 7:54 AM

August 24, 2007 10:49 AM

You write:

>>you will not have accurate funnel data for your e-commerce conversion goal.

But the Unofficial GA blog says when discussing your method:

Which seems to say the funnel would be working. Which is right?

September 6, 2007 3:02 AM

September 6, 2007 3:11 AM

ziggy said:

I submitted a comment several days ago. Why a problem?

September 9, 2007 11:40 PM

Michael Harrison said:

So, this should mean that your funnel will show an exit and and entrance.

September 14, 2007 10:06 AM

Hair Extensions said:

Hi

thanks

April 6, 2009 4:59 AM

Mark said:

G'day,

is there any update on this issue?

January 21, 2010 3:33 AM

Mark Curtis, Paid Search Team Leader Author Profile Page said:

April 20, 2010 10:25 AM

pk said:

March 28, 2007 8:40 PM

Hey PK,

March 29, 2007 1:56 PM

ziggy said:

Or is google's just badly worded and you must control www.securecart.com also?

August 23, 2007 7:54 AM

August 24, 2007 10:49 AM

You write:

>>you will not have accurate funnel data for your e-commerce conversion goal.

But the Unofficial GA blog says when discussing your method:

Which seems to say the funnel would be working. Which is right?

September 6, 2007 3:02 AM

September 6, 2007 3:11 AM

ziggy said:

I submitted a comment several days ago. Why a problem?

September 9, 2007 11:40 PM

Michael Harrison said:

So, this should mean that your funnel will show an exit and and entrance.

September 14, 2007 10:06 AM

Hair Extensions said:

Hi

thanks

April 6, 2009 4:59 AM

Mark said:

G'day,

is there any update on this issue?

January 21, 2010 3:33 AM

Mark Curtis, Paid Search Team Leader Author Profile Page said:

April 20, 2010 10:25 AM

pk said:

March 28, 2007 8:40 PM

Hey PK,

March 29, 2007 1:56 PM

ziggy said:

Or is google's just badly worded and you must control www.securecart.com also?

August 23, 2007 7:54 AM

August 24, 2007 10:49 AM

You write:

>>you will not have accurate funnel data for your e-commerce conversion goal.

But the Unofficial GA blog says when discussing your method:

Which seems to say the funnel would be working. Which is right?

September 6, 2007 3:02 AM

September 6, 2007 3:11 AM

ziggy said:

I submitted a comment several days ago. Why a problem?

September 9, 2007 11:40 PM

Michael Harrison said:

So, this should mean that your funnel will show an exit and and entrance.

September 14, 2007 10:06 AM

Hair Extensions said:

Hi

thanks

April 6, 2009 4:59 AM

Mark said:

G'day,

is there any update on this issue?

January 21, 2010 3:33 AM

Mark Curtis, Paid Search Team Leader Author Profile Page said:

April 20, 2010 10:25 AM

pk said:

March 28, 2007 8:40 PM

Hey PK,

March 29, 2007 1:56 PM

ziggy said:

Or is google's just badly worded and you must control www.securecart.com also?

August 23, 2007 7:54 AM

August 24, 2007 10:49 AM

You write:

>>you will not have accurate funnel data for your e-commerce conversion goal.

But the Unofficial GA blog says when discussing your method:

Which seems to say the funnel would be working. Which is right?

September 6, 2007 3:02 AM

September 6, 2007 3:11 AM

ziggy said:

I submitted a comment several days ago. Why a problem?

September 9, 2007 11:40 PM

Michael Harrison said:

So, this should mean that your funnel will show an exit and and entrance.

September 14, 2007 10:06 AM

Hair Extensions said:

Hi

thanks

April 6, 2009 4:59 AM

Mark said:

G'day,

is there any update on this issue?

January 21, 2010 3:33 AM

Mark Curtis, Paid Search Team Leader Author Profile Page said:

April 20, 2010 10:25 AM

pk said:

March 28, 2007 8:40 PM

Hey PK,

March 29, 2007 1:56 PM

ziggy said:

Or is google's just badly worded and you must control www.securecart.com also?

August 23, 2007 7:54 AM

August 24, 2007 10:49 AM

You write:

>>you will not have accurate funnel data for your e-commerce conversion goal.

But the Unofficial GA blog says when discussing your method:

Which seems to say the funnel would be working. Which is right?

September 6, 2007 3:02 AM

September 6, 2007 3:11 AM

ziggy said:

I submitted a comment several days ago. Why a problem?

September 9, 2007 11:40 PM

Michael Harrison said:

So, this should mean that your funnel will show an exit and and entrance.

September 14, 2007 10:06 AM

Hair Extensions said:

Hi

thanks

April 6, 2009 4:59 AM

Mark said:

G'day,

is there any update on this issue?

January 21, 2010 3:33 AM

Mark Curtis, Paid Search Team Leader Author Profile Page said:

April 20, 2010 10:25 AM

pk said:

March 28, 2007 8:40 PM

Hey PK,

March 29, 2007 1:56 PM

ziggy said:

Or is google's just badly worded and you must control www.securecart.com also?

August 23, 2007 7:54 AM

August 24, 2007 10:49 AM

You write:

>>you will not have accurate funnel data for your e-commerce conversion goal.

But the Unofficial GA blog says when discussing your method:

Which seems to say the funnel would be working. Which is right?

September 6, 2007 3:02 AM

September 6, 2007 3:11 AM

ziggy said:

I submitted a comment several days ago. Why a problem?

September 9, 2007 11:40 PM

Michael Harrison said:

So, this should mean that your funnel will show an exit and and entrance.

September 14, 2007 10:06 AM

Hair Extensions said:

Hi

thanks

April 6, 2009 4:59 AM

Mark said:

G'day,

is there any update on this issue?

January 21, 2010 3:33 AM

Mark Curtis, Paid Search Team Leader Author Profile Page said:

April 20, 2010 10:25 AM

pk said:

March 28, 2007 8:40 PM

Hey PK,

March 29, 2007 1:56 PM

ziggy said:

Or is google's just badly worded and you must control www.securecart.com also?

August 23, 2007 7:54 AM

August 24, 2007 10:49 AM

You write:

>>you will not have accurate funnel data for your e-commerce conversion goal.

But the Unofficial GA blog says when discussing your method:

Which seems to say the funnel would be working. Which is right?

September 6, 2007 3:02 AM

September 6, 2007 3:11 AM

ziggy said:

I submitted a comment several days ago. Why a problem?

September 9, 2007 11:40 PM

Michael Harrison said:

So, this should mean that your funnel will show an exit and and entrance.

September 14, 2007 10:06 AM

Hair Extensions said:

Hi

thanks

April 6, 2009 4:59 AM

Mark said:

G'day,

is there any update on this issue?

January 21, 2010 3:33 AM

Mark Curtis, Paid Search Team Leader Author Profile Page said:

April 20, 2010 10:25 AM

pk said:

March 28, 2007 8:40 PM

Hey PK,

March 29, 2007 1:56 PM

ziggy said:

Or is google's just badly worded and you must control www.securecart.com also?

August 23, 2007 7:54 AM

August 24, 2007 10:49 AM

You write:

>>you will not have accurate funnel data for your e-commerce conversion goal.

But the Unofficial GA blog says when discussing your method:

Which seems to say the funnel would be working. Which is right?

September 6, 2007 3:02 AM

September 6, 2007 3:11 AM

ziggy said:

I submitted a comment several days ago. Why a problem?

September 9, 2007 11:40 PM

Michael Harrison said:

So, this should mean that your funnel will show an exit and and entrance.

September 14, 2007 10:06 AM

Hair Extensions said:

Hi

thanks

April 6, 2009 4:59 AM

Mark said:

G'day,

is there any update on this issue?

January 21, 2010 3:33 AM

Mark Curtis, Paid Search Team Leader Author Profile Page said:

April 20, 2010 10:25 AM

pk said:

March 28, 2007 8:40 PM

Hey PK,

March 29, 2007 1:56 PM

ziggy said:

Or is google's just badly worded and you must control www.securecart.com also?

August 23, 2007 7:54 AM

August 24, 2007 10:49 AM

You write:

>>you will not have accurate funnel data for your e-commerce conversion goal.

But the Unofficial GA blog says when discussing your method:

Which seems to say the funnel would be working. Which is right?

September 6, 2007 3:02 AM

September 6, 2007 3:11 AM

ziggy said:

I submitted a comment several days ago. Why a problem?

September 9, 2007 11:40 PM

Michael Harrison said:

So, this should mean that your funnel will show an exit and and entrance.

September 14, 2007 10:06 AM

Hair Extensions said:

Hi

thanks

April 6, 2009 4:59 AM

Mark said:

G'day,

is there any update on this issue?

January 21, 2010 3:33 AM

Mark Curtis, Paid Search Team Leader Author Profile Page said:

April 20, 2010 10:25 AM

pk said:

March 28, 2007 8:40 PM

Hey PK,

March 29, 2007 1:56 PM

ziggy said:

Or is google's just badly worded and you must control www.securecart.com also?

August 23, 2007 7:54 AM

August 24, 2007 10:49 AM

You write:

>>you will not have accurate funnel data for your e-commerce conversion goal.

But the Unofficial GA blog says when discussing your method:

Which seems to say the funnel would be working. Which is right?

September 6, 2007 3:02 AM

September 6, 2007 3:11 AM

ziggy said:

I submitted a comment several days ago. Why a problem?

September 9, 2007 11:40 PM

Michael Harrison said:

So, this should mean that your funnel will show an exit and and entrance.

September 14, 2007 10:06 AM

Hair Extensions said:

Hi

thanks

April 6, 2009 4:59 AM

Mark said:

G'day,

is there any update on this issue?

January 21, 2010 3:33 AM